Nathaniel's Blog

A random collection of ideas, insights, and inspiration.

Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Revenue Sharing + File Swapping + New Artists + DRM = Weed

I first spotted Weed a long time ago when a former collegaue and I were looking into starting a business in the digital music arena. Although we ultimately decided to follow other pursuits, Weed is very similar to the concept that we had been toying with.

Basically, Weed allows an artist to sell their music online, protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management), via a p2p like interface. The distinction is that after being allowed to listen to a downloaded song three times, the user must pay for the song. The interesting catch is that once they have bought the mp3, they may in turn be a distributor for the song and collect some of the revenues from the person who downloads it from them for purchase.

Althoguh this service is mostly targeted at up and coming musicians, I think that it could conceivably be a business model applicable to a larger pool of artists. Keep up the good work and good luck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi N haniel McNamara, I was looking for file sharing related info for my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and thought I would check out some blog sites. I get sidetracked easily these days....getting old...lol. It was an interesting read. Thank You

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi N haniel McNamara,
I was looking for information about peer to peer file sharing when I came accross your blog. Revenue Sharing + File Swapping + New Artists + DRM = Weed doesn't answer all of my questions but it sure looks like it'll be useful. I'm off to find more resources on peer to peer file sharing. Good luck and keep it up.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home